Intro

This is a blog about our holiday to Europe in 2014. We started off our travels in Venice, where we began a cruise of the Adriatic and Aegean seas, ending in Rome. We then travelled from Rome to the Netherlands by rail, stopping in various places along the way. We are: Me - Gill, my husband - Grant, my daughter - Paula; my father - Neil and his partner - Astrid. We are South Africans, from the lovely province of Kwa-Zulu Natal. Our friends Lisa and Trevor joined us from the UK for the cruise portion of our holiday.

Navigate using the labels on the right =>

Click on images and text boxes to enlarge



Sunday, June 22, 2014

Mykonos Greece

We had a nice slow start to the morning, sleeping-in for a bit and then strolling along to the Aqua Cafe for breakfast (I'm in love with their Birchers muesli!)  We went along to the Gastro Pub for the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet and gift exchange, which was fun.  Then we went and registered for the Captain's Club and, continuing our policy of trying to do all those things we haven't yet done on the Equinox, we wandered through the library, had a look around the card room, and also traced our journey on the huge globe on display on one of the decks.

Shortly after docking we caught the shuttle bus into Mykonos (it cost $8)  We followed the directions on Tom's Port Guide  (highly recommend his port guides!) into town and walked to the windmills.  





We had a beer in a little tavern and then wandered around the lovely shops and alleyways. Mykonos is so pretty and so easy to stroll around.   





Mykonos has the most adorable little churches I have ever seen.  







We looked all over for Petros the Pelican, but unfortunately he didn't come out to play while we were there.





Paula and I bought lots of lovely bits and pieces (including bath mats, I kid you not!)  Once we had spent all our money, we met up with Dad and Astrid for drinks and shared snacks of saganaki (ooh I love the stuff!) and kalamari.  

And this is where my heart gets broken.....

I met and fell hopelessly in love with the World's Best Cat.  Honestly.  He was the best cat ever. His name was Johnny (according to the waiter) and he was a little scrawny, but had a heart the size of a lion.  





I almost tear up as I type this.  I loved him. Fell for him hook, line and sinker the minute he climbed up, uninvited, into my lap. He lay there and purred and kneaded and rolled over so I could scratch his tummy ... we had an hour long love affair... and then I had to go.... It was the saddest part of the entire holiday.  I could SO have carried that cat home in my hand luggage.   So, I left a chunk of my heart in Mykonos.  sob, sob

Once back on board we relaxed in the solarium for a while before having an early dinner at the buffet.  

Grant got some stunning photos of the sunset!





We popped in to see the show - it was the magician/comedian fellow that Paula enjoyed last week -  and then early to bed.  We're all feeling a little tired for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment